This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Need project Idea for bachelor dissertation

This forum is for non code-based questions, best practises, IDEs, version control tools, work opportunities, etc.

Need project Idea for bachelor dissertation

by BleedingMoon » Tue May 02, 2006 4:11 pm

Hi everybody,
Due to my completion of my bachelor studies i have to do a small dissertation at the university.
The big problem is, that everybody programms in java there and i do not like java and i WANT to write this work in PHP5.

I love the symfony framework so much, that i want to use the symfony framework for this work to show other people the possibilities of PHP5+symfony.

There are too much people out there, who still are thinking that only little scripting is possible with PHP.

Ok, now i am searching a project which i could do for this work. The employees of the according professorship(software engineering) are interested but they have no idea what i could implement in PHP for them (because they are all java freaks)

So, have you any ideas which i could do (perhaps something with web services) ?

I want to make symfony more popular and so i need a good idea :)~ :-)~ :smile:

Bye
BleedingMoon

P.S.:
Oh i noticed, that this forum software does not show topics in the topic view, which have " in the title :(~ :-(~ :sad:
BleedingMoon

Re: Need project Idea for bachelor dissertation

by dzejkej » Mon May 29, 2006 1:27 am

Hello!

My ideas - lots of brainstorming, some of them I remember 8-)

<ol type="1">
<li> web app for making optimized class schedules - thats quite practical thing for universities :)~ :-)~ :smile:
<li> open-source project search app - open source repositories don't have very good search capabilities, you will code a engine, that will provide more feature-rich searching layer above sourceforge, freshmeat, etc
<li> modern web technologies - compare them (flash, ajax {and commet}, applets/thinlets/... {thats not very modern, I know :)}) and implement some widgets using ajax/javascript - like scheduler, chat, calendar application, etc (lot of javascript, not so many php stuff)
<li> design patterns - provide introduction to some design or architectural pattern - and implement some of them - you can focus to MVC and implement your own simple framework - or do a study of symfony
<li> e-commerce - code and document making of flexible internet store - you can spice things with nice backend (add products, changing look and feels using user defined templates, etc) and don't forget ajax and lot of effects - people tend to think, that you spent ages doing that project, because this is fading, that is sliding, ... :)~ :-)~ :smile:
<li> (quite) feature-rich wiki
<li> same for blog
<li> implement Trac-ish software in Symfony and release it to public - you will get famous :)~ :-)~ :smile:
<li> forum - jump on the wagon :)~ :-)~ :smile:
<li> webmail - I would love to see a nice webmail project in symfony, release it with some commercial-friendly license, so I can show it to my boss :)~ :-)~ :smile:
</ol>

Things like shop, wiki, webmail, forum are quite good ideas because you can implement so many features you like and that means you can quite easily control time spent on it. The only 2 questions is, if its not too practical to them and about what to put into documentation :)~ :-)~ :smile: - maybe study of current project, what are they missing, and so on ...

Wish you good luck! :)~ :-)~ :smile:
dzejkej is closed-source SVK human product

lazy man for professional web tools
dzejkej

by BleedingMoon » Mon May 29, 2006 8:43 am

Hi,
@dzejkej
thanks for your great ideas.
However i already suggested some of your ideas some days ago to a postgraduate at our university and the problem is that the most projects are not too academic enough. So there would be no new "scientific" stuff to implement in these projects and the university says "no" to these projects ;(
Another thing is, that even the postgraduate are still thinking that a PHP app, would be too simple:

Java: complex and difficult , PHP: too simple

So it was hard work to confince the university people, that developing with PHP could be very challenging and difficult too and i got a project.

But, shit happens, my project should be a snippet-repository like app and then a few days later the Snipeet project was published :shock:. My app will have some different core to the Snipeet project (it implements some code alignment), but however it is very disappointing that this great app of the symfony guys was published before the end of my project :twisted:

Bye
BleedingMoon
BleedingMoon

by dzejkej » Mon May 29, 2006 11:23 am

(argh, I lost my net connection when posting loong reply and everything was gone :(~ :-(~ :sad: )

I thought, that bachelor projects are not about new academical stuff :)~ :-)~ :smile:. Here, its about doing some scientifical research about known subject or make something practical with theoretical documentation :)~ :-)~ :smile:.

As for project ideas:
2) searching, data mining - that contains lot of theory, IMO :)~ :-)~ :smile:
3) patterns are academical :)~ :-)~ :smile:, Erich Gamma discovered them and it was his PhD. thesis (correct me if I'm wrong)

About snipeet - maybe it would be good idea to ask Francois, what is he cooking then beg him to stop it for one year, so you can do it :)~ :-)~ :smile:.

And making symfony famous - I find trac very popular, only problem for programming communities (except python one :)~ :-)~ :smile: ) is, thats its not implemented in their language of choice. Ruby/Rails developers want to do it themselves too :)~ :-)~ :smile:.

Maybe its just me, but I found Symfony very practical to use it in theoretical subject :)~ :-)~ :smile:.

dzejkej

by BleedingMoon » Mon May 29, 2006 11:46 am

(mmh Firefox saves the text, when something bad happens and you click the return button of your browser)

Actually i had the same thoughts about a bachelor project, but my postgraduant told me another story :)~ :-)~ :smile:

Porting the trac software would be a greate project. But i think it would be too huge for a bachelor project.
But we could do this in a free project :)~ :-)~ :smile:
BleedingMoon

by dzejkej » Mon May 29, 2006 12:06 pm

(got error page telling me to contact webmaster and returned everything was empty :?~ :-?~ :???: )

You can implement part of trac (ticket system, don't implement diff viewing, etc).

Personal note: be more constructive :)~ :-)~ :smile: - you are telling me that those ideas are not suited for bachelor project and don't try to modify them or inspire by them. First 4 of them are real-world (and succesfully finished) examples (or are based on them - don't remember exact descriptions) :)~ :-)~ :smile:.

Just try to talk about some of them with your leader and if you don't like them, thats another story :)~ :-)~ :smile:.

Thats all from me :)~ :-)~ :smile:. Good luck! :thumbup:

dzejkej

by jessemorris » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:20 am

Dissertation writing may seem to be a simple assignment to students but writing a custom dissertation is one hard task that needs correct skills and hard work. One can copy material from different sources but when it comes to write my essay cheap list then students have to think many times to effort that task entirely on their own.
jessemorris