This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Examples of different server environments causing troubles

This forum is for non code-based questions, best practises, IDEs, version control tools, work opportunities, etc.

Examples of different server environments causing troubles

by tsusanka » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi everyone.

I am writing a university work about Vagrant* and Chef, and its possible advantages when used both in a development team and on a server. I am looking for real-world examples, when different settings on servers caused you headaches. In most cases it applies to different versions of programs, different settings etc.

Simple example that happened to me few months back:

In a code I unintentionally used this code:

Code: Select all
$result = $this->foo()['item'];

Everything was working fine on my local machine, but when I deployed the application to client's server I got errors. After a while of debugging I discovered that the client's server had na older version of PHP - 5.3. On my local machine I had installed 5.4. As you might know the syntax is fine in PHP >5.4, however in 5.3 this is not allowed.

Did you come across such problems? If so, would you mind sharing them? More examples like I provided would help me a lot. Thank you in advance.

* Vagrant is a software for creating and configuring virtual development environments. It can be considered a wrapper around virtualization software such as VirtualBox and configuration management software such as Chef, Salt and Puppet. See more on http://www.vagrantup.com.
tsusanka