This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Noob: need help modifying a template

Notes and reports about symfony 1.0.x stable

Noob: need help modifying a template

by dan9000 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi there

Hope you can help me. I´m a marketing guy who´s just started in a small company using symfony 1 to run our website. I want to make a (I believe!) simple change but as we´re a small company there is no symfony support. I´m don´t have an IT background but can follow instructions and am fairly IT literate, I´m hoping that if someone can just explain step by step what I need to do I can make it happen without too many problems. I´ve already checked "the book" and the forums but can´t find what I need. It might be that it´s so simple it´s just not there...?

Our website has a number of main menu tabs shown horizontally under the header; for each page, symfony generates a navigation bar vertically on the left hand side where I can organise sub-pages under the menu tab. All I want is to have one menu tab that doesn´t have this navigation bar (or sub-pages) so I can use the full-screen for content. I´m guessing I need to create a new template, but I can´t see how, nor can I see how I can make that template specific only to one menu tab.

(Oh, and I´m using multiple languages...)

I have full access to the backend and the db, but I just don´t know what I need to change.

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!
dan9000

Re: Noob: need help modifying a template

by halfer » Mon May 23, 2011 2:25 pm

This is a bit old, but in case it's of use:

I tend to warn against non-programmers making changes, as it can cause more problems than it solves. I have recent experience of this, sadly :). If your live system is important to you, don't make any changes to it on the server.

That all said, if you are able to take a copy and get it running on a non-live machine, having a play about will cause no harm. Your main application is likely to be called "frontend" and its templates will be in /apps/frontend/templates/ - and the main file you need to look at will probably be called layout.php. If you can follow HTML it may be clear what you need to do. Have a look in this folder for other items too; open them in an editor and see if they correspond to the item you want to change.

Bear in mind you could instead approach a freelancer at symfonians.net and ask them for a fixed-cost quote. What you are looking for sounds like a couple of hours work.
halfer
Faithful Member