This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

sfFacebookConnectPlugin - XFBML without authentication

Questions relating to sfGuardPlugin or other user management plugins

sfFacebookConnectPlugin - XFBML without authentication

by mshow » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:39 am

Hey, i have an external application that uses FacebookConnect. On the site there are users, *some* of which are registered through FacebookConnect. I would like to display their personal information -- name and profile picture -- to every visitor of the application, and not only to authenticated facebook users.

XFBML tags seem not to display personal info without authentication, and facebook prohibits from storing personal data offsite for more than 24 hours: http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Storable_Data

Is there any workaround to this problem? Could i perhaps re-fetch info of every facebook user in the database every 24 hrs? How do i authenticate my api request in that case?

A small js that uses idle time of authenticated users could perhaps do the update silently with thousands of ajax calls from users' computers :twisted:

Any ideas?
mshow

Re: sfFacebookConnectPlugin - XFBML without authentication

by mauro.casula » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:12 am

Hi,
is just an idea I had reading your post.

When facebook user connect in your app, you can display a form with his personal info data and ask him to "confirm" that..

If they confirm, user is authorizing you to copy in your database his personal info.

Remember to display an information note in the footer..

Bye bye...

hope you'll enjoy my stupid idea.. :)~ :-)~ :smile:
mauro.casula

Re: sfFacebookConnectPlugin - XFBML without authentication

by wicky » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:20 am

Is there any workaround to this problem? Could i perhaps re-fetch info of every facebook user in the database every 24 hrs? How do i authenticate my api request in that case?
dhoom
wicky