This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Call to arms - SonataAdminBundle documentation

New topics about Symfony 2 should go here

Call to arms - SonataAdminBundle documentation

by tiagojsag » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Hello, community,

I'm imagine that, like me, many you you use SonataAdmin regularly. And, like me, you have probably noticed that the documentation for it is a bit behind the actual implementation. Some features are not well documented, some don't work as documented, and other are not documented at all. The awesome team behind it noticed it to, and a revamp of the docs it taking place as of today. More info here: https://github.com/sonata-project/SonataAdminBundle/issues/1519

To the Symfony2 beginners

I know that, here on the forum, we have a lot of newcomers to the Symfony2 community, and this section is for you. Don't think you can't contribute to this initiative because you don't know much. You can, and you can do what anyone else can't.
Go and check the docs, see if they make sense to you. The new docs are target at being easy to understand by everyone, specially new users. If you find them hard to understand, or that they can somehow still be improved, let the authors know.

To the Symfony2 veterans

Have you ever gotten stuck trying to do something with SonataAdmin? Do you have a little cookbook on it just for you, or a little trick written in a post-it stuck under your coffee mug? Do you have a ninja configuration or use case that you'd like to share with everyone else? A cookbook for advanced functionalities is also being developed. It's up to all of us to share our expert knowledge of SonataAdmin. The you-in-six-months-after-the-cleaning-lady-threw-away-that-precious-post-it will thank you for it (and so will everyone else).

To all users

This is based on my personal 2+ years experience using and contributing Symfony2: SonataAdmin is one of the best bundles out there. It's been designed and implemented by people who know more about Symfony2 that I (and most of us) ever will, and inside it's code that's so epic that, even after 2 years using it, I still learn something new when I go browsing the code inside it (honestly). Those who I've helped here know that I tell them to check SonataAdmin's code frequently, and that's for a reason :)

I've contributed to documentation efforts on other Symfony2 projects, and I can tell you that there's no better way to learn about something. By figuring out how something is done and documenting it, you are not only helping the documentation effort, you are learning, and improving yourself as a developer, based on the knowledge of people how have a lot to teach. And there's a lot to learn inside SonataAdmin. Don't be scared to take a peek inside the code. At first, yes, it's hard, but it's definitely worth the effort, not just for the community, but for yourself too.

Sorry for the long post, but I personally believe this is an initiative that we all can contribute too, and that we all can later on benefit from.

Cheers
Tiago Garcia
@tiagojsag

Core Web Developer @ Shopware
http://www.shopware.de
tiagojsag
Faithful Member

Re: Call to arms - SonataAdminBundle documentation

by caponica » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for this - lets try to get a concerted effort from all users (of all experience levels) to help expose SonataAdmin to the wider community and help everybody to unlock the hidden gems within.
caponica

by beren » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:23 am

500 error on the link...
beren

by caponica » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:20 pm

caponica

by Anonorpheus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Sorry if I *bump* this topic, but I just wanna know if all the documentation is allready up-to-date?
Because the timeline on Github shows 2 comments this year and thats it.
Anonorpheus