This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

[Newbie] Why ACME prefix?

This is for discussion, mainly on 1.x but there's some 2.x topics here too.

[Newbie] Why ACME prefix?

by xmontero » Sat May 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Hello, I'm completely new to Symfony.

I'm exploring the basic distribution of sf2 and reading the basic documentation.

The demo bundle is "AcmeDemo" and it seems that the ACME "prefix" appears in several places (for example in Symfony\src\Acme\DemoBundle and also in Symfony\web\bundles\acmedemo.

I wonder if ACME has any special meaning (a key to identify a certain set of bundles? the developer name?, any internal joke? or what) or if the demo could simply be called "Demo" or "SimpleDemo" or whatever.

In short:
    What Acme stands for?
    If I do a simple test, do I put a directory called AcmeFirstTest besides AcmeDemo? Or can I call it FirstTest directly?
    Do I have to wonder where the Acme prefix appears or may ig completely ignore what Acme is/means?

It may seem to all you that those are silly questions, but I'm sure that once being answered may be of help to any other person in my very same situation.

Thanks!
Xavi.
xmontero

Re: [Newbie] Why ACME prefix?

by unewochialat » Sun May 22, 2011 1:46 am

Acme is a sample company
it's a collection of bundles
unewochialat

by xmontero » Sun May 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks unewochialat. Understood.

I then suggest to add your exact phrase in the documentation page:
http://symfony.com/doc/2.0/quick_tour/index.html
at the "Routing" subchapter, where "Acme" appears in a string which is analyzed at that point.

Maybe a "pencil note" saying "In this example don't be confused by the Acme prefix, don't think of any special meaning, it is just a sample company, a collection of bundles".

Short enough to not generate any "noise" to anybody, but meaningful enough to the really-really-newbies to the Symfony structure.

May I sugggest this?
Where should I suggest this?

Thanks again.
Xavi.
xmontero

by halfer » Mon May 23, 2011 11:05 am

Personally I think it doesn't need explaining, but you could raise a ticket if you like (which I think can be done here).

Any time I see ACME, I think of the brand of explosives, rockets and anvils as used by the famous Wily Coyote :lol:
halfer
Faithful Member

by Mindphreaker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 pm

xmontero wrote:I then suggest to add your exact phrase in the documentation page:

This is a good idea... at first I was confused too, as I have never heard this abbreviation before. Somehow, everytime I read acme I have to think of acne.. :D
wuchthosting.com Webhosting!

Anyone who can give you orders can stop you from solving whatever problem you're being fascinated by. - Eric. S. Raymond
Mindphreaker

by frankmail007 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:28 am

I'm confused too. Can I create bundle outside acme folder? Thanks
frankmail007