This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Interest in a symfony geodata-project?

This is for discussion, mainly on 1.x but there's some 2.x topics here too.

Interest in a symfony geodata-project?

by axel » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:22 pm

Is there any interest in setting up a geodata-project with symfony?

I am actually using the data from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengeodb/
http://opengeodb.hoppe-media.com/index.php

Here is a huge amount of german regions and places are stored with lat-lon coordinates (e.g. usable for googleMaps). The project has a database with a somehow chaotic structure. I parsed the data I needed into xml and from here via xsl into yml to import all I need into my symfony project.

Thats what I can provide:
parsing from ogdb into xml
parsing from xml to yml (my special table structure)
a database structure wich is a bit easier than the old one

Why a new project?
The mass of data is good, I believe. But the project is not running forward. They dont have any admin tool to insert or correct the data. They are actually looking for something (since a year?).
There is not much geodata to be found for europe without paying.
The data only has german speaking regions, mainly germany, a bit austria and so on. The idea is good for at least whole europe or more. But it needs a good support by a Web-tool.

I think with symfony it could be not too much work to set up such admin-tool. But I cant do that alone with myself.

So, how is the reaction on this theme?

Best,
Axel
axel

Re: Interest in a symfony geodata-project?

by halfer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:42 pm

It's a good idea. I suggest that if the idea is to provide an web service, then you should provide results in xml, not yml. With the mass of data you will be handling, static yml files won't cut the mustard.

The web and database hosting won't be cheap, either, so you may wish to get a public-interest body to help you there. Or set up a website prior to coding, and asking for donations (this chap got a reasonable sum together by doing just that).

Some of my forthcoming projects, incidentally, need UK postcode lat/long data. Some approximate and incomplete services are springing up, but the actual database is copyrighted and costs money to use, even though it was funded with public money (I believe there is a campaign to change this, but it will need much more critical mass to be successful).
halfer
Faithful Member

by axel » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:50 pm

Yes, the idea is to provide the data in xml.

But for the import into any new database I used xsl to transform it into yml. With xml and xsl anybody can transform the data as he likes.
axel

by webdevilopers » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Long time ago...

Did anything happen?

I am looking for a Symfony2 Bundle to work with OpenGeoDb,
webdevilopers