This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Symfony and E-Commerce

This is for discussion, mainly on 1.x but there's some 2.x topics here too.

Symfony and E-Commerce

by Nirvana » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Hello guy...

Sorry for my poor english but isn't my first language....

However, my question is: Can I modify Symfony for making an E-commerce site??

And what are the posible functions who help me to create this site?

Thanks
Nirvana

Re: Symfony and E-Commerce

by dante » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:46 pm

I created the following site completely in symfony (german):
http://www.magnetoplan.de

So, the obvious answer should be: yes. Feel free to ask if you have any more specific questions.
dante

by wanadoobtdc » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:27 pm

Hello dante,

Could you send me the architecture of your magnetoplan web site cause I can't figure out the way you build the website with symfony.
Specially the interaction with action view and layout ...
Thanks

my email webdeluxe at free.fr
wanadoobtdc

by Nirvana » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:26 am

Hello dante,

uhm very good site....but my first question is...how you have made to make it?
And another doubt is...symfony offered you a graphical interface to make this web site?Or in contrary case...What's the strument we have to make this type of site?

Thaks
Nirvana

by weyandch » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:05 am

Well.. don't know of any kind of graphical toy symfony offers.. you have to design a layout yourself or buy a template to adapt it, that's what your customers get to see.

Symfony is just working in the background, handleing all interactions of users with your site..
weyandch

by Nirvana » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:27 am

uhmm....in any way I'm develop a e-commerce site and I haven't a lot of time....Have you any council???
Nirvana

by dante » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:28 am

@Nirvana: I totally agree with weyandch. symfony is not a set of ready-to-go building blocks, and it does not provide you with any graphic tools. In the first place, symfony helps you to develop maintainable, robust and expandable applications. As far as the graphical design of your page is concerned, I'm afraid you'll have to look after that yourself (or engage a webdesigner :)~ :-)~ :smile:
dante

by dante » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:36 am

I think you'll first have to make a 'make or buy' decision here. There are more or less ready-to-use ecommerce solutions, like os-commerce or xt-commerce. But as far as I'm concerned, I needed absolute flexibilty and wanted to have an entirely object-oriented software in order to be easily expandable. So I decided to develop a new ecommerce software from scratch using symfony. It surely depends on your requirements. If they're not too specific, you could also get along with a out-of-the-box solution.
dante

by Nirvana » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Well....my problem is this, my line of duty is to do a E-commerce site and it will be integrated with the company web site....
My project must be have a postgreSQL database and whole work will develop in PHP5....And given that my project can't be buy anythings...
Nirvana

by paolomainardi » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:02 pm

Ops, but if you can't buy anything, are you seeking someone that code for you ? Mmmh...I suggest to read some gooh xhtml/css tutorial and try yourself to code your template, or download oscommerce/phpcart with some free template and enjoy ;)~ ;-)~ :wink:

Bye
paolomainardi

by Nirvana » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:18 pm

@Paolomirandi

Hello guy, are you italian??If you are italian send me a email or add me to you msn list at the email [url=mailto:toroseduto89@hotmail.it...]toroseduto89@hotmail.it...[/url]

mmmm, however I'm not seeking anyone who code for me....I'm a php developer and I know css and XHTML language....

My problem is this the time that I have is restricted the friday to the week before...
Nirvana

by weyandch » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:26 pm

mh, hurry up with askeet.. you should be done in about 24h and got a overview of all the features symfony offers ;)~ ;-)~ :wink:

I'd call myself familar with php, css and xhtml too.. but it takes quite some time to get used to symfony.. got at least 3 tabs open to access askeeet, book and forum here.. and i'm using it quite often ;)~ ;-)~ :wink:
weyandch

by cblin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:35 pm

so short delay means that you will have to go with oscommerce or something like it: it will be far _quicker_ than to learn symfony, design a website from scratch, design a db model, debug, and go to prod !
cblin
Faithful Member

by Nirvana » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:53 pm

OsCommerce doesn't sostain postgresql database...and doen't make in PHP5
Nirvana

by cblin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:13 pm

it will be easier to port an already existing app to postgres than to statrt from scratch
cblin
Faithful Member

by Nirvana » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:13 am

Infact it's my last option....
Nirvana

by G Mawr » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Nirvana wrote: I'm not seeking anyone who code for me....I'm a php developer and I know css and XHTML language....

My problem is this the time that I have is restricted the friday to the week before...

I think you have two problems:

1) you don't have enough time to learn Symfony and develop a solution.

2) you can't buy a ready made solution.

I think that you need to explain to your boss that what he or she wants is not possible. He or she should give you more time, or buy a ready made solution.

For information: I too know PHP, CSS and XHTML reasonably well. I've recently started learning Symfony. My experience suggests that a few weeks of learning are required before one can seriously consider developing a real world application.

OTOH, maybe you can learn faster than me.
Dev/Linux: OS: openSUSE 10.2; Web Server: Apache 2.2.3; PHP: 5.2.6; Symfony: 1.0.17

Dev/Windows: OS: XP SP3; Web Server: Apache 2.2.4; PHP: 5.2.5 Symfony: 1.0.17

Prod: OS: SUSE Pro 10; Web Server: Apache 2.0.54; PHP: 5.0.4; Symfony: 1.0.17
G Mawr

by zellerludwig » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:12 am

Hello dante,

I would like to buy the shopping system you wrote for www.magnetoplan.de.

I hope you read this, your ICQ number seems to be invalid. Please contact me at ludwig.zeller ||@|| gmail.com

Bye,
Ludwig
zellerludwig

by jahmal » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what is going on with sfCommerce plugin project ?

It does seem to me that there is not so much much going on this forums about this great feature which will add two fantastic plugins to our symfony code: sfPayment and sfCheckout.

The project page is here : http://trac.symfony-commerce.com/ , however last topic in their TRAC reporting was written over a month ago (http://trac.symfony-commerce.com/report/6)

[edit]
They also post to http://groups.google.com/group/symfony-ecommerce

Cheers,

Rafal Jachimczyk
Rafal Jachimczyk
www.waypointsystems.co.uk
jahmal

by cordoval » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:15 pm

i know this was sometime ago, but just for the sake of completion

nowadays symfony2 has Vespolina and Sylius projects to work for ecommerce solutions

if you want a quick and easier bootstrap checkout this book i have written http://pilotci.com

hope that helps to rise awareness for people looking for symfony2 ecommerce libraries.
cordoval

by htien88it » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:15 am

Sylius is an open source and free e-commerce solution for PHP (and based on Symfony2).

It is capable of managing stores of any size and having complex products + categories.

Products can have different tax rates, many shipping methods are supported and it is integrated with Omnipay (multi-gateway payment processing library).

Sylius can be used in 2 ways:

main application: customize views, configuration and start the project
standalone bundles: build a solution using the bundles you need (products, shipping, inventory, etc..)
htien88it