This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Installation instructions were a bit unclear

Discuss installing Symfony 2 here

Installation instructions were a bit unclear

by DarkAshelin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi,

During my installation of Symfony, I got stuck for a good couple of hours because of confusing installation instructions.

On the download page, the following is noted:
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Download one of the archives somewhere under your local web server's root directory and unpack it. If you have Git installed, you should download Symfony2 "without vendors", as it adds a bit more flexibility.
2. Follow the instructions in the README.md file (which is just a text file) that's packaged with the download.
3. Enjoy!

However, the README file refers to using composer for installing/downloading the Symfony package. This is not necessary, as you have already downloaded the archive right there in the 1st step. But since this is noted as step 2 I assumed both are necessary.
Me being not familiar with composer at all, I lost a good couple of hours trying to get it to work.

Lastly, there is also no way noted to test if the installation was successfull. Instead of "Step 3. Enjoy!" I think you could note how you can test your installation, by going to %installationpath%/Symfony/web/app_dev.php

Suggestion:
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Download one of the archives somewhere under your local web server's root directory and unpack it. If you have Git installed, you should download Symfony2 "without vendors", as it adds a bit more flexibility.
2. Visit %installationpath%/Symfony/web/app_dev.php to test if the installation was successfull.
3. If you are having any issues, read the README.md file (which is just a text file) that's packaged with the download.

On a sidenote, it may be useful to add a few examples of directories to unpack the archive(ie. Wamp: C:\wamp\www\Symfony), as this also wasn't superclear to a newb like me ^^'
DarkAshelin

Re: Installation instructions were a bit unclear

by dtucker01 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Thank you for this. I've been spending hours trying to install Symfony and use Composer. I thought you had to use them both to make Symfony work. Now when I create a project it loads everything from my root directory. I'm getting frustrated.
dtucker01