This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

IDE for Symfony

Requests for new symfony features.

IDE for Symfony

by windsurflove » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:47 am

What would take Symfony over the top would be a IDE like Visual Studio.

Symfony as a framework is fantastic. The number one feature is the way it forces you to write manageable, scalable code that follows proven design patterns. And I am sold.

But the learning curve is steep. Especially for beginners. A visual IDE would help in the learning curve, as well as help seasoned professional programmers deploy Symfony web applications faster.

Here's an example comparison to make things clearer.
Suppose I wanted to create the ToDo list web application so favored by everyone. Let's say that the specs are really simple. Just a table of todo tasks with a date_created and date_completed, the facility to sort by clicking on the column headers etc.

In Symfony I would create the schema, build the model, connect to SQLite, build the database, init-administration etc. It doesn't take that long, but it does take reading how to do it if I am a beginner, and it does take writing a lot of things in configuration files (and writing them correctly). In other words there is a bit of a learning curve.

In Visual Studio (.NET) I would first go to by app_data folder and create a SQL Express database, populate it etc, all visually.
Then I would drag a gridview from my toolbox to the page. I would configure the datasource (still very easy and visual), choose sorting etc. I would finish much quicker. If this was the first time I was doing this, it would be much friendlier, I would get results faster. Plus, since up to this point I have not typed any code, there would be no errors.

My suggestion is to create an IDE for Symfony similar to Visual Studio. All the IDE would do is to provide a visual interface for symfony's objects. This would provide beginers with a much quicker success. It would also help seasons symfony programmers scafold applications faster. The underlying framework and file structure, yaml files, model etc would stay the same, it would just be faster to configure everything and there could be wizards to help you go through things without need of reading a manual. This would also help make symfony more widely known. :P

P.S.
If you like the idea of an IDE for Symfony post a reply. If you want to discuss which is better, Symfony or VS, then contain yourself, because it is not my intention to favor either, rather to help make Symfony which is already great even better. :oops:
windsurflove

Re: IDE for Symfony

by D@ Mick » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:40 pm

I don't think that such a thing will ever come on the market. .Net is a component based framework that allows you to drag and drop components as grids, etc (if you don't want to code it all).
You just don't have anything like that natevly in PHP or even in RoR. You'll have to use JS libraries or just stick with html.
The only thing that would maybe work is creating an Eclipse plugin with a few possibilities to create/edit config files. But still, I think that's a bit 'over the top'. It would take me less time to edit them directly then going to the wright option window to edit them through a graphical UI.

You can't just compare .NET (VS) with other frameworks. Just read the nice documentation and you'll get their. Even with .NET you will be forced to read upon the subject if you want to create complex and professional applications.
D@ Mick

by rmzamora » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:12 pm

I think a better one would be a complete eclipse plugin, just like the one included on the new Zend Studio (Zend Framework) Symfoclipse is good but it lacks features. A full eclipse plugin will be very much helpful.

I'm new in using Symfony, My team uses a proprietary MVC framework. Since I cannot handle all the updates on our framework I decided to migrate all our current web application to a well supported open source PHP mvc framework. By far I fell in love with symfony... I has almost all the features we need plus the ease of use.

Cheers!!! :D~ :-D~ :grin:
rmzamora

by skyblaze » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:30 am

i also agree for a complete/robust pdt plugin. I use pdt with symfoclipse and the debugger and it is great!
skyblaze
Faithful Member

by Notorious » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:59 pm

Although the Eclipse plugin is great, I find it somewhat a hassle to perform some tasks. Code completion for core files is not available and in views there is little to none code completion as well.

Maybe developing a custom IDE for symfony would be great. I'll take a look if I can pull that off somehow.

The IDE should have at least:
<ul type="square">
<li>Good YAML validator
<li>Code completion for core files
<li>Code completion in views
<li>Code completion in deeper levels of objects (only one level down is supported in PDT Eclipse afaik)
<li>Shortcuts to your own tasks (couple propel-build-model, build-sql, insert-sql and load-data in one task for example)
<li>...
</ul>
I'll post a reply if I figure something out :)~ :-)~ :smile: Might be a good opensource project.
Notorious

by windsurflove » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:35 am

I am glad people are interested in making the experience of creating with Symfony faster and easier.

Perfecting code completion in IDEs supporting Symfony is a great start. I have used NuSpere's PHPEd and Zend Studio which will do code completion once you point them to the Symfony core files. This quite helpful.

But I think an IDE for Symfony could be even more powerful by being able to do code generation and provide wizards. This is already provided by Symfony in the form of the admin generators, we just need more of it. The wizard could guide you in generating your yaml files and putting them in the right place too.

I am well aware that this is not going to be much help to someone who has already been using Symfony for a year, read the manual, used most of the popular plugins etc, but for a beginner it would be very helpful. This way we could make Symfony more popular. And anyway Symfony is so big that one is always a beginner. I have been using it for almost a year now and have just read the chapter on caching and I can see it will take me another month to fully experiment with it and assimilate it. I am just looking for a way to smooth the learning curve. :P
windsurflove

by naholyr » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Eclipse PDT + Symfoclipse

Notorious wrote: <ul type="square">
<li>Good YAML validator

Symfoclipse has it

<li>Code completion for core files

Eclipse PDT has it, just configure your include path (add you symfony data and lib paths, and enable comments in propel.ini so that you can have full auto-completion with the model)

<li>Code completion in views

Eclipse PDT has it too, just as in every other PHP file

<li>Code completion in deeper levels of objects (only one level down is supported in PDT Eclipse afaik)

??? If I configure include_path and if the doc-comments are well written, it works like a charm

<li>Shortcuts to your own tasks (couple propel-build-model, build-sql, insert-sql and load-data in one task for example)

Symfoclipse has it, but i prefer adding a custom task to Eclipse which simply runs "symfony {$prompt_string}" in {$project_loc}.

<li>...
</ul>

No YAML wizards though, sfPlayground seemed to be a very good initiative for this, but it seems it's a dead-born project.
naholyr
Faithful Member

by jnm3 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:01 pm

How about something like Recess! Tools! then.

That would be possible given the symfony framework.

I was thinking of adding a default database that would allow you to control the project or projects.

Built into the initial setup of symfony, it would already have an admin with a configuration section of defaults and a default database of mysql ( or maybe that could be a param on the setup cli) Recess Tools is very close to what I laid out. They added some great features like debugging. But I was only after a web based interface to the base files and defaults.

The hardest part for me is the syntax and the flow.

I don't have a lot of time or knowledge of symfony or oop. I just started working with symfony again.

Keep up the great work and my thanks.
jnm3

by confidential » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:22 am

dear friends,

i personally have not tried but PHPEDIT (http://www.phpedit.com/en) does provide good plug-in for symfony and other few frameworks.

please see this video http://www.phpedit.com/en/presentation/videos/overview/symfo ny-extension
confidential

by tormit » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Netbeans 6.8 is coming with Symfony support.

http://blogs.sun.com/netbeansphp/entry/initial_symfony_suppo rt
tormit

by tkoomzaaskz » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:13 pm

Has anyone tried the NB plugin? Is it useful?
tkoomzaaskz
Faithful Member

by v.shu » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:43 am

i think a good yaml editor is necessary,i am new in symfony,and the yaml configs makes too many troubles for me,even now i find the problem i should check the config.
config is great for symfony,hope somebody can introduce a good yaml editor for me. :lol:
the IDE,it will be great! :lol:
v.shu

by halfer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:27 am

There is a YAML editor in NetBeans, and it is set to improve on the new release with embedded PHP support.
halfer
Faithful Member

by tormit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:29 am

NetBeans has a great YAML editor. It warns you immediately when you have syntax error.
tormit

by Kazuya » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:02 pm

Hello,
+1 for NetBeans, it is an excellent IDE, and it support symfony perfectly in autocompletion and write yaml files, you can type shell commands in its interface, in short the most comprehensive Ides that I have tested without addition of any extensions. (but I have not tested eclipse and its extension symfoclipse)
For a complete IDE I had a preference for eclipse (for java development mainly) but now I think that netbeans is great for php development and symfony's projects (moreover, I feel its takes less time to start and seems to be faster to use than eclipse).
Hacker vaillant, rien d'impossible !!!
Kazuya

by lightpriest » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 am

I'm using native eclipse with the YAMLEditor plugin, PHP support and the Zend Debugger.
My symfony libs are located as a svn:external in the lib/vendor's folder so eclipse auto completes just fine. (Or in the path, if you like)
Since symfony sources are included in the project's path, the debugger finds them and able to debug them as well.

And for shell commands, well, I'm using a shell :)~ :-)~ :smile:

Haven't used symfoclipse but is sounds like it does the same tricks.

I've tried using NetBeans 6.8 (it does feel like it works faster) but right now I have no time to adapt to it, maybe later on.
lightpriest

by vovikdrg » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:32 pm

check this one.
its not integrated with symfony yet. but who knows
http://www.jcxsoftware.com/vs.php

http://www.jcxsoftware.com/jcx/poll/frameworks
vovikdrg

by vovikdrg » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:58 am

Now Vs.php is more better :)~ :-)~ :smile: it load all Record methods :)~ :-)~ :smile:
Attachments
vs.php.png
vs.php.png (33.79 KiB) Viewed 6634 times
vovikdrg

by lightpriest » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:31 am

Since php does implicit casting, VS and other IDEs could only know the type of the variable by guessing it (from the method's signature, and from "$var = new Object" assignments).

Basically, Eclipse with PDT does that pretty good.
lightpriest