This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

[website & forum] plugin bridge with symfony project and phpbb/punbb

Requests for new symfony features.

[website & forum] plugin bridge with symfony project and phpbb/punbb

by Kazuya » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:18 pm

Hello,
I wonder if it's planned to integrate existing forums such as phpbb or punbb in a symfony project (for example with a bridge plugin (login users) and a plugin which allow to display forum within a symfony website).
According to me, It is a feature that is sorely lacking.

I am well aware it's brings many problems including security because forum such as phpbb does not follow the MVC pattern and others things.

Sorry for my poor english,
Best regards,
Kazuya.
Hacker vaillant, rien d'impossible !!!
Kazuya

Re: [website & forum] plugin bridge with symfony project and phpbb/punbb

by halfer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:17 pm

I believe it has been discussed a few times, have a look here:

http://forum.symfony-project.org/index.php?t=search&srch =forum+integration

Also remember that if a feature is lacking, then build it yourself and submit it to the open source community for gradual improvement. 'Tis the beauty of the open source model ;)~ ;-)~ :wink:
halfer
Faithful Member

by halfer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Btw I don't know of the forum software you mention, but I was impressed with the robustness of Phorum, which I would recommend. MySQL use it for their discussion forums.
halfer
Faithful Member

by Kazuya » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
I am not new to the community of free software (I use linux / bsd and open source software for some time now), so the beauty of open source, I understand a little.
The problem is that I am completely new with the symfony framework so you advise me to build myself what I want, this is a sentence that is easy to say and I frequently found on various forums, but that is ask me too now :)~ :-)~ :smile:. So what I have learned with symfony is "do not reinventing the wheel" hence my request here on this forum if there would be no chance of symfony users have already made this kind of plugins...
My request about phpbb is simply a website with an existing phpbb forum where you'd like to keep users and their respective messages. (I do not know if we can import a phpbb database to phorum without any problems, I'll find out).

Do you have already implemented a forum (not the little symfony forum plugin) in your symfony website ?

Note: Sorry for my poor english (I'm french).
Hacker vaillant, rien d'impossible !!!
Kazuya

by halfer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:48 pm

I haven't ever had to do this, no. An integration would probably be better for you than a symfony-based plugin, if you are looking for a fully-featured system. Bear in mind that the best PHP forums are usually the result of 5-10 years worth of work ;)~ ;-)~ :wink:

To answer your question, have a look at the link I supplied.

If that turns up nothing, and a web search turns up nothing also, then you will have to do the integration yourself. The community can help. Often it is just a matter of integrating the logon device of the forum with sfGuardPlugin. You can either get symfony to understand phpbb cookies, or vice versa. You may need to play around with mod_rewrite too, so that the forum URL space is passed to phpbb rather than symfony.
halfer
Faithful Member

by halfer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:05 pm

There's someone that might like to help you here:

http://forum.symfony-project.org/index.php/t/24140/

Put a post on that thread? -- perhaps you can work together.
halfer
Faithful Member