This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Installing WAMP + APC + intl

Installation and environment issues, mainly on 1.x but there's some 2.x here too.

Installing WAMP + APC + intl

by caponica » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:34 pm

** EDIT: I just realised that I posted this in the symfony 1 support group - it's intended for Symfony 2 viewers, but sf1 users can also use this method to get a newer version of WAMP installed! **

Here's a quick how-I-did-it in case others are running into problems getting a WAMP dev environment set up on a windows machine.

- Go to http://www.wampserver.com/en/
- Scroll down (or click 'download' on the menu bar) and click on the yellow "Wampserver (32 bits & PHP 5.3) 2.2E" banner
- Click the yellowish "download it directly" text (links to sourceforge )
- install wampserver...
- when you fire it up you realise that intl doesn't work (at least in my experience) and there's no APC
- left-click on the WAMP icon and stop all the services

(Side note: In my Apache error log I was finding errors stating:
"Unable to load dynamic library .../php_intl.dll"
and
"the specified module could not be found.")

For APC:
- Go to Pierre's handy DLL download page and grab the php_apc-3.1.10-5.3-vc9-x86.zip
- copy the php_apc.dll file into C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.13\ext
- open C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.22\bin\php.ini and add an entry for "extension=php_apc.dll" next to the other extensions
- at the end of the php.ini file add something like this:
[APC]
apc.enabled = 1
apc.shm_segments = 1
apc.shm_size = 128M
apc.max_file_size = 5M
apc.stat = 1
- save your changes and restart apache
- if you open a phpinfo() page then you should see APC enabled (and you should see your pages loading faster)

Now to deal with that pesky intl...
- Click on the wamp icon and stop all services
- Go to the pecl intl page and download the version of intl that you wish to use: http://pecl.php.net/package/intl (you want the 5.3 ZTS version)
- Also take note of the sentence under the dll download links: "The binaries depend on the ICU libraries..." and download the correct zip for the intl version you went for
(e.g. get v2.0.1 of intl by choosing the PHP 5.3, ZTS option and then get the related icuXX v49 dlls)
- unzip the php_intl.dll into C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.13\ext
- unzip the icu dlls (all 7 of them) into C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.22\bin
- edit php.ini (or click the WAMP menu) to enable php_intl
- restart all services
- if you open a phpinfo() page then you should see APC enabled (and you should see your pages loading faster)

...and, most importantly, if you open a config.php page in a new Symfony 2 project you should see a nice green

Your configuration looks good to run Symfony.

And that's what it's all about at the end of the day!
caponica

Re: Installing WAMP + APC + intl

by caponica » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:57 am

One last thing...

Speed up your page loads further (about 25-30% in my experience) by setting
Code: Select all
realpath_cache_size = 512k

in you php.ini file.
caponica