This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Not a noob but struggling with Step 1!!!

Discussion around this tutorial for symfony 1.0.x

Not a noob but struggling with Step 1!!!

by gypmaster » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:41 am

Hi,

Excuse my utter ignorance here ...

I've got php5, apache and mysql5 running on my local windows xp mc as a dev env already. Trying to start learning symfony but STUCK already ... the askeet toot says 'We'll assume that you use a Unix-like system with Apache, MySQL and PHP 5 installed. If you run a Windows system, don't panic: it will also work fine, you'll just have to type a few commands in the cmd prompt.'

what commands would they be?

I've downloaded and extracted v1.0 and have the sf_sandbox dir and all subdirs.

what's all the stuff with PEAR? do i need to download that (I've got php5) and use that to install?

thanks in advance
Mark
gypmaster

Re: Not a noob but struggling with Step 1!!!

by halfer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:59 am

PEAR is a library repository for PHP. If you look in C:\PHP\PEAR you'll find a file called go-pear.phar, which you can run using PHP. It's a compressed file I think and does the installation for you. You need to answer some questions but most of the defaults are fine.

I have sometimes run into problems when installing that though, so as an alternative you can download the code at http://pear.php.net/go-pear, save it as a php file, then run it on your machine. I have found that to be much more reliable (on Windows at least).

Then do the channel/install stuff as described in day 1. Hope that helps.
halfer
Faithful Member

by sherifgmansour » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi Not a Noob,
I would also suggest googling it before hitting the forums.. you will be amazed what you find..
SM
sherifgmansour

by gypmaster » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi Halfer,

yeah, that helped. I downladed and ran the go-pear.php script ... installed some PEAR stuff.

Next step ... Project Setup ... question is, where do I create the folders referred to in the mkdir statement?

btw, sherifmansour ... google what?
maybe ... "can someone explain the installation instructions"?

what are the forums for if not for helping symfony noobs?

if the level of support I can look forward to here is "google it" then maybe I'll go Zend or Cake.
gypmaster

by halfer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:19 pm

gypmaster, you are very welcome for the help, I am sure no offence was intended :)~ :-)~ :smile:

I think SM has a point - the google would have been "PEAR PHP Windows install" or similar, which would have given you what you needed. However you caught me in a good mood so I wrote it out instead :D~ :-D~ :grin:

Of course you are welcome to use any software - and several users here are Zend fans too, hence the integration plugins with Zend (we may have some Cake users although I don't know of any). There's a consensus around here of "best tool for the job" so if they are better for your projects, go right ahead. But we like symfony here, and would advise you to at least give it a try!

Anyway, welcome on board.
halfer
Faithful Member

by halfer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:21 pm

where do I create the folders referred to in the mkdir statement

I presume this is to house your symfony project, in which case, put it wherever you store your web projects on your dev machine. For example I have:

Code: Select all
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\sites\
  site1\
    apps\
    web\
  site2\
    apps\
    web\

In each case, the "web" folder is the thing I point the Apache vhost to.
halfer
Faithful Member

by gypmaster » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Hey guys,

Yeah, maybe I was just a little grumpy!

Thanks for the encouragement and help. It does seem though that the part of the tutorial I'm looking at suffers from what the Heath brothers call "The Curse Of Knowledge" i.e. "once we know something (e.g. how to set up symfony on a local windows pc), we find it hard to imagine what it was like not to know it" (from their excellent book Made To Stick) in that it seems to assume everyone coming to symfony will know what that page is about ... I don't and I've been around web dev for a few years, certainly not new to it but very new to symfony & PEAR.

I'm still a little confused as I first saw symfony referenced in a sitepoint article which pretty much said 'download this zip file, unzip it and you are ready to go' ... PEAR is only mentioned in relation to a plugin ...

So I'll probably try my hand with Cake/Zend first as their set ups seems a lot more straightforward and also I'm thinking that if I struggle with the 'Intro & Install' page at symfony then I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here anyway.

Anyway, thanks again ... maybe I'll give it another go some other time.
gypmaster

by halfer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:55 pm

No worries. By the way if you just want to play with symfony, download the sandbox. All's required there is some Apache config, unzip and indeed, you are good to go. Best of luck!
halfer
Faithful Member