This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Open Source Symfony CMS

Other symfony projects

Open Source Symfony CMS

by D@ Mick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi all,

It has been a while that I'm looking into the possibility to start the development of an open source CMS based on Symfony. I know the sfSimpleCMS plugin exists but I think there are a few "downsides" to it.

One of them is the fact that it is a plugin and it relies on other plugins for authentication (sfGuardPlugin). It also makes it "hard" to build extra features. That's why I was woundering if their were people here that want to help me with this project. I think there is still room for a fully blown cms, centainly when it is based on Symfony and if it has the capability to be roled out for professional use.

I'm looking for some solid Symfony developers who have the time to help me out with this task, so I could start a nice development group. I can provide the nessessary tools to get a community environment up and running and offcourse help with the development, so that is no problem at all.

So if anyone is interested, feel free to leave a message so we can get in touch. I realy hope to get some positive replies.

Greetz
D@ Mick

Re: Open Source Symfony CMS

by halfer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:30 am

Are you aware of this project?

http://www.steercms-project.org/
halfer
Faithful Member

by D@ Mick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:34 am

yes, I am aware of it. and I have viewed the project. But again, one drawback in my opinion is that everything is again released as plugins. If you look at other open source cms you will see that you can freely alter every code that you like, even core files. And that is something that I want to accomplish.

When using plugins, you are somewhat bound to the rules of the developer. I see that there is totaly no intereset in a project as this. Maybe nobody shares the same ideas as mine.

Anyhow, I allready started development on my own. Depending on the time I can spent on it, development will go on. When I have a workable project I will consider the fact if I'm still going to launch is open source.

Don't get me wrong, it is not the fact that I don't want to share, but holding up an open source project of this size on your own is just impossible. When I keep is for myself, I can work on it when I want and develop it to fit my own needs.

But still, if there are people intereseted it it, feel free to post.
D@ Mick

by nautilebleu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 am

In this case, I don't see why you want to use symfony ? You will be "bound to the rules of the [symfony] developer(s)" ?
all about me
t-shirts
nautilebleu
Faithful Member

by D@ Mick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:52 am

Symfony is a framework. There is still a huge diffrence between a framwork, and a plugin build on a framework.

When you have the source code of an application, you can change and alter it to every need you want.

When you get a plugin, you can only configure the plugin.
D@ Mick

by halfer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:05 pm

I can certainly see the advantage of not modifying plugins, so that the whole thing is "plug-and-play".

However I think you still have two options left with a project like Steer - either edit existing plugins and keep them as customised plugins within the CMS codebase, or make generic edits to the plugins and contribute those edits back to the core.

That having been said, there is plenty of room in the symfony community for several CMS implementations, so if you start another project, and if you release it, people will have a choice :)~ :-)~ :smile:
halfer
Faithful Member

by nautilebleu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Plugins in symfony are "sub frameworks" and if you need to change the way a plugin works and if it's well-designed according to the symfony guidelines, you are able to change the behavior of the plugin in your project, keeping both advantages of using a plugin maintained by lots of developers (including the core team) and being able to do what you want.

I'm not trying to say that you must not develop your own one, but I think your choice should better be based on the way you want the CMS works, as Joomla doesn't work like Drupal: as halfer said, "there is plenty of room in the symfony community for several CMS implementations".
all about me
t-shirts
nautilebleu
Faithful Member

by D@ Mick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:21 pm

I have to agree that well developed plugins are easy to configure to your own needs. Maybe I'll wait and see how the steer cms progresses in the future.

Making 2 cms systems based on a framework is a bit "overkill" I think. If the development and community starts to work @ Steer, I think it will just be for the best to just help them out instead of trying to "compeet" with them ;)~ ;-)~ :wink:
D@ Mick

by dreglad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

I am developing (actually on top of steerCMS) a widget based CMS with built-in administration in the frontend app, pretending to offer a WYSYWIG-like interface to manage content: basically define layout and styles, and insert and sort content "widgets" with it's own fronetnd and backend content logic. If I succeed I'll release it as open source.

I found no lack of freedom using plugins, symfony's plugin system allows us to override almost everything taking advantage of the config.php file and/or extending either symfony or even steerCMS classes.
dreglad

by ornicar » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:43 pm

Hello

Do you know this one ?
http://diem-project.org

As it is built with the Symfony Dependency Injection Container, nearly all classes can be replaced by yours.
ornicar

I need help theming and extending the Steer-CMS - Will Pay

by morrillt79 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:52 pm

I am working on extending and theming steercms.

Screenshots are built, slicers are on standby, looking for the dev team to engage a long term employee relationship.

If you have time, are passionabout symfony, and play well with others, contact me with some work examples.

I currently have the job posted to odesk: http://tinyurl.com/steercmsjob.

Todd
morrillt79

by halfer » Thu May 13, 2010 10:44 am

@morrillt79 - not sure many people will see that here. You might get better results by posting your requirement at symfonians.net :)~ :-)~ :smile:
halfer
Faithful Member