This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

New social network based on symfony - Miit.me

Other symfony projects

New social network based on symfony - Miit.me

by ringhio » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi! I've opened http://miit.me on Monday, 3rd November in private beta for up to 500 users. Miit.Me is an easy way to meet in real life people that you met over the Internet. Just enter events where you'll be and check for others there or nearby. It's easy, quick and could be fun.

Some infos about the project:

- Google Maps API integration
- sfFeed2Plugin
- sfGuardPlugin
- sfFormExtraPlugin
- I18n (right now Italian and English, ready for other languages)

If you want an invite just ask!
ringhio

Re: New social network based on symfony - Miit.me

by halfer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:16 pm

This sounds like an interesting project. What differentiates it from existing social networking systems, such as Facebook or its myriad of plugins?

Also, are you open-sourcing your code? :D~ :-D~ :grin:
halfer
Faithful Member

by ringhio » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi halfer! I admit that I'm not on FB and I don't know what it's offering in this direction.

Miit.Me has only one focus: events and meet people. And it wants to do that in a good way.

I don't think to open-sourcing my code because I want to build some business services on the project.
ringhio

by halfer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:51 pm

I want to build some business services on the project

I thought so, which is why I asked whether FB does this already. There are almost certainly other web systems that will do this. I don't want to rain on your parade, but to get people to part with money is difficult; you'd therefore need to find something that is not catered for already to make it an attractive proposition.
halfer
Faithful Member

by ringhio » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:54 pm

I know this, it's not a problem. The secret is to use alternative ways to do it better or attractive. :)~ :-)~ :smile:
ringhio

by halfer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:06 pm

I agree. But if you don't know what FB is offering, you can't know whether you are doing it differently to them ;)~ ;-)~ :wink:

My view is that attractiveness is not a big issue in social networking - FB has shown that people prefer more ways to network than the flashiness of Myspace profiles.
halfer
Faithful Member

by ringhio » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:24 pm

I know that FB events are directed to friends linked to us in the application. It's like organizing a party, you can apply and be in the list and more and more...

Miit.Me allows you to say "I'll be there from...to..." and look for other users in that place (or near there). Example: next week I'll be in Rome 3 days for a convention, I post this on Miit.Me and I can see if there are users not too far from me in those days and where. We can be in the same city, maybe only 3min walk attending 2 different events.
ringhio

by Hoffdav » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:05 pm

It is a niche market you are targeting, the thing is people hear someone mention social network and everyone thinks you have to compare yourself to facebook. I take a different angle to it than halfer; in fact it may be a good thing for creativity not knowing what facebook is doing. I don't really see facebook as a business tool, which I think your app may be; a social business tool. Facebook to me is more a popular culture tool. Miit.me looks like something that could be developed further into an interesting application for conferences. Have you had any further developments - would be interesting to hear how you are doing and what has happened since the start of your thread?...
Hoffdav

by ringhio » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi Hoffdav! About developments: not so much but I'd like to do some things...
In the blog you can see that http://blog.miit.me/2009/01/27/looking-for-angels-venture-ca pitalists-and-business-partners/ I was/am looking for people to join this project to go on. I think it could be interesting create new features and improvements. Isn't it?
ringhio

by Hoffdav » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:17 pm

I suppose you could look at the angle of people can go to this conference/meet up - but in order to make a load of other content available there could be an interface for conference people/organisers of the meet up. I have heard of a site where you can create an event like go bowling/day at the races and then you can get your mates to put in some money to pay for it, it helps you organise stag dos/hen nights/other events etc. I guess your site appears to be targetted more at conferences/large business events.

I would do some more research before you start any more development of the site..where do you want to take it, into a niche market or a wider market. e.g. what is the market for online conference web apps/software. Is there anything that manages the whole conference lifecycle but also incorporates the networking aspect of it - e.g. sign up/payment, schedule, seminar reservations, networking/discussions/parties/entertainment (during and after conference possible interface with Linkedin?), video streaming, presentations, photographs, after conference surveys and delivery of conference analytics.

Or if you take it into the wider market, as halfer says there has to be some sort of usp or different angle on things. Go down the angle of the website I mentioned where you create an event, invite people to the event and contribute to the kitty/pot of cash for the event (great for events of 10+ people). Or you want to miit people based on interest and miit.me helps you create your favourite miit place and you can then see people who like going to your favourite place or doing your favourite thing by location. e.g. I like flying kites and I want to meet people in Milan who like doing the same. I like tennis and want to miit people in West London who do too. That sounds more like hobby me than miit me though! ;)~ ;-)~ :wink:

I guess there are lots of ideas to go for, but maybe miit.me needs a different slant/angle for its next phase of dev.

add me on linkedin if you want to chat offline
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidhoffmann
Hoffdav

by ringhio » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks Hoffdav for your suggests. I need help to see the app and his future from different points of view, maybe from someone not only tech. I've asked for that on my blog...
There are some very interesting things in your reply and I'll think about them.
ringhio