This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Anybody interested in a symfony project to help reunite families?

Other symfony projects

Anybody interested in a symfony project to help reunite families?

by randallemery » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:48 am

This is a personal appeal. My wife has been unable to visit her family for more than 3 years because of processing delays in immigration case. Her aunt was recently diagnosed with cancer. My elected officials have not been able to clear up the problem so we can travel freely, and I have since found out that there are thousands of families in similar situations.

So what in the world does that have to do with symfony? Not a whole lot really, except that thanks to the askeet tutorial, I am comfortable working with symfony, and I want to use it to make a change. I'm looking for other people who know symfony and would be interested in helping out.

If you're at all interested, please take a look at my idea:
http://www.dhsreport.org/

While the project will be targetted to the American government, it will be released as an open source project. If successul, it could be adapted to aid in making governments around the world more accountable to their consitituents.
randallemery

Re: Anybody interested in a symfony project to help reunite families?

by dzejkej » Sat May 27, 2006 1:20 am

Hello!

Hows the project going? Did you find any help?
dzejkej is closed-source SVK human product

lazy man for professional web tools
dzejkej

by halfer » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:01 pm

If you're interested in civic change and community accountability web projects, you really ought to check out www.mysociety.org. There's plenty of ideas floating about, and yours may even have been done already.
halfer
Faithful Member

by randallemery » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:22 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I found one person interested in helping testing, but other than that I did not find any help.

I have not followed-up on the project after discovering that there was legislation that not only would not help us, but would instead threaten to put us in jail for 20 years (yes, that's right -- they screwed up and they tried to put us in jail for it). That got me to take a lot more direct and active role in things here.

There has been international coverage of some of the protests across the United States in reaction to this legislation. There were over 1 million people who protested simultaneously on both April 10 and May 1.

Personally, I filed suit againt the Department of Homeland Security, and under threat of that law suit, my wife's case was processed, and we were finally free to travel again.

I've also helped to start an organization for people in the kind of situation my wife and I found ourselves in, and we're thinking of incorporating some of the ideas in our website, but just by using exsiting content-management open source software. Here's our site:
http://www.americanfamiliesunited.com

MySociety.org looks pretty good. I think they did a great job with pledgebank.com.
randallemery

by halfer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:23 pm

Hi randall,

(Slightly off topic, but nevermind!)

You have my sympathy and solidarity. Us folks in the UK are mighty frustrated with the wholesale junking of rights and liberties that Blair and his cohorts have been involved in (and they claim to be on the left - oh dear). Americans have been caught in the same trap, particularly with the Patriot (ahem) Act and, as you say, the DHS, not to mention the concomitant reds-under-the-bed rhetoric (slightly revised for new audiences) from Rumsfeld and Rice.

I am pleased that your wife's situation has been resolved, though it is a shame that it takes the threat of legal action to alleviate it. I wish you luck in your resolve to publicise it, and would encourage you to maintain direct democratic involvement if you can. I do so here, and it looks like I'll need to for some time, the way things are going :shock:

halfer
halfer
Faithful Member