This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Symfony forge

Other symfony projects

Symfony forge

by hung5s » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:40 am

Hi mods,
what do you think about a Symfony forge, like cakeForge for cakePHP or qforge for qcodo?
hung5s

Re: Symfony forge

by vinilios » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:48 pm

++
vinilios

by halfer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:37 pm

Not a bad suggestion - would be very useful for my idea too.
halfer
Faithful Member

by comster » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:52 am

I suggested this some time ago.

Doesn't it seem that it would be very nice for say a Blog, Shop, CMS etc.?
comster

by pezetgee » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:52 am

Perhaps it would be also a good idea to include some of the problems/solutions from this forum somewhere, maybe wiki?
I'm finding the FUDForum search not good enough, and many questions are repeting as well.
If not in wiki, maybe we could extend forum categories?
ie:
General discusstion
- propel
- doctrine
- sql
- validation
- javascript
etc...
pezetgee
Faithful Member

by kmedlin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:25 am

I've noticed this problem as well pezetgee. I would worry though that if the forum gets too overly categorized places where a symptom overlapped a few problems in the solution would leave people searching even longer for the answer.

I think at this point focusing on getting people to provide a clear list of symptoms, posting the relevant code, and asking pointed questions about the symptom and code would go a long way.
kmedlin

by markchicobaby » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:16 am

I also completely agree with the Symfony Forge idea. halfer, plugin status also excellent idea. Some extra docs on the plugins would go down nicely too.

Re categorisation of forum posts issue, I agree with pezetgee. kmedlin, splitting into extra categories will be an improvement on what we currently have. Searching will be unaffected by extra categories, people can still search (and find just as much as they do now :?~ :-?~ :???: ) The trick is to not to have too many categories. Just one extra layer below the current level will be excellent.

e.g. splitting Askeet forum into the different days would make that forum much easier to use. You'll notice that most posters in there prefix their post with the day name anyway.

Code: Select all
Askeet
 Day 1
 Day 2
 etc

And, finally, I think a FAQ/Wiki based on forum posts/solutions is a sensational idea.

Wow, what a great thread. Now, who's going to do all the work? Anyone? ;)~ ;-)~ :wink:

Perhaps I should phrase that differently - who's going to get all the credit! :D~ :-D~ :grin:
markchicobaby

by michael.piecko » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:56 am

Forum search is really not the best. But i found somewhere a hint and created for me a custom google search, which look up the forum and the snippets section:
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=004965783111448373372%3A0i bowqld6wg

Michael
michael.piecko
Faithful Member

by markchicobaby » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:36 am

That's a great tip.

Also I found this message from last year posted on the Zend forums:

http://devzone.zend.com/article/1935-symfony-Project-has-its -own-Forge

Refers to
http://www.symfony-forge.org/

Unfortunately, its an empty page ...[update] registered to Fabien POTENCIER. Well at least its in good hands.

I'm glad to note the Zend tutorial is also out of date so Symfony aren't the only ones playing catch up.

(I was just looking at Zend to see if I could incorporate Zend_Search, the instructions to incorporate it to Symfony exist now:
http://spindrop.us/2006/08/25/using-zend-search-lucene-in-a- symfony-app/
)

The instructions deal with Zend_Search 0.8, is up to 1.5 now so those instructions are also out of date. But there are a few posters who give an indication what to do.

Perhaps Askeet Day 21 can be updated?
markchicobaby