This forum is in READ-ONLY mode.
You can look around, but if you want to ask a new question, please use Stack Overflow.

Symfony ecommerce / bakesale-like

Other symfony projects

Symfony ecommerce / bakesale-like

by onanga » Mon May 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Hello all !

I think there must be a few of us all working on the same thing : ecommerce with symfony. It's not quite obvious to me and I do not thing it's that easy to build up while learning symfony at the same time.

On my hand, I'm working on that bakesale-like system (well, let's more say it was my first goal), but I'm getting more and more confused as the project goes ( spent much time, and I'm so much at the beginning... ).
Lost in the admin-generator that's so powerful and easy to use for basic tasks, but so confusing to me when trying to extend.
And I know I would be done by now if I did it from scratch. But that not the purpose, and I wouldn't have all the Symfony possibilities and addons.

I see symfony forge is starting, but not much open source applications yet except for these like Askeet or those at http://trac.symfony-project.com/trac/wiki/ApplicationsDevelo pedWithSymfony.

Blog is now more or less done (Askeet...) and I think a CMS would have been sweet, but the subject was already started and some mentionned that it would take year to get it as clean as other already there on the market for years. And I suppose that's not wrong :(~ :-(~ :sad:

Anyways, I do not think making a clean os-commerce would be the purpose, but just was bakesale is done (and I do think that's nice!).
Why not taking bakesale then? Because that's not symfony powered...

What's all my blabla for? Anyone else around working or willing and able to work on a bakesale-like? Anybody started maybe ?
onanga

Re: Symfony ecommerce / bakesale-like

by halfer » Tue May 22, 2007 11:49 am

It's not quite obvious to me and I do not thing it's that easy to build up while learning symfony at the same time.

Take it from someone who's learnt the hard way: try developing a simple site first before launching into an enterprise project. Much will be learnt in the practise session that you will then be able to get right when you do the real thing.

By the way, what is a "bakesale-like system"?
halfer
Faithful Member

Re: Symfony ecommerce / bakesale-like

by onanga » Tue May 22, 2007 3:37 pm

What I called a bakesale-like system is just a e-commerce platform.
Just like bakesale is built out of CakePHP, it could be pretty much interresting to have a standard shopping catalog with basic features built-in based on Symfony.
Quite like openEats (http://www.openeats.org) now exists and offers basics for someone who would be starting a receipes website.
onanga